Bemboka, “Village in a Valley” was originally settled as a halfway point between Bega and Cooma. The first main settlers arrived in Bemboka in 1871, and were mainly a dairying community with a large number of butter factories in the town.
A telegraph station was situated at Brown Mountain and received its first telegraph in September of 1885. A pioneer walk has been established in the Bemboka Park honouring the pioneers of the district.
Today Bemboka is a quaint rural village with a backdrop of the Bemboka National Park towering over the township. Scenic views of the whole Sapphire Coast from Pipers Lookout have to be seen to be believed. The new viewing platform and visitor information is an introduction to the wonders of the South East Forests National Park. Lyrebirds line the forest trails and wombats wander the lush rolling countryside.