Blaxland is a thriving village in the lower mountains. Originally called Wascoe Siding, the town was renamed Blaxland in 1914 after Gregory Blaxland. The 1813 crossing of the Blue Mountains was the expedition led by Gregory Blaxland, William Lawson and William Charles Wentworth, which became the first successful crossing of the Blue Mountains in New South Wales by European settlers.
Visit the historic Lennox Bridge, the oldest bridge on the Australian mainland, and admire the stone masonry skills of the early convicts. Construction began in 1832 with stone quarried from 500 metres up the gully. The Wascoe Siding Miniature Railway is great for families with picnic areas and rides. It opens the first Sunday of every month.