Hungerford is located near the Paroo River on the Queensland/new South Wales border, and still has a border gate which doubles as the Wild Dog/Dingo Fence!
The town was named after Irish pioneer pastoralist Thomas Hungerford. The Royal Mail Hotel was established in 1873 and from 1875 was a staging post for Cobb and Co. It is still a licensed Hotel today.
Accommodation is available at the hotel, and the town also has a caravan park and sealed air strip.
Hungerford holds and annual sports day in October which features a horse and motor bike gymkhana.