Costing a total of 11,000 Pounds to build, Althorpe Island’s Lighthouse was made out of a mixture of limestone and hard sandstone quarried from the Island.
Powered by twin diesel generator sets and a 120 volt 1000 watt Tungsten Halogen lamp, it was first lit on 14 February 1879 and continued to shine for 112 years.
Standing 15 metres tall and 91 metres above sea level, the light reached 24 nautical miles into Investigator Strait, and displayed a 0.1 second flash every seven seconds.
The light was converted to operate on automatic solar power in 1991 and declared a conservation park in 1996.
The Friends of Althorpe Island assist Yorke District Staff to manage the Althorpe Islands Conservation Park by maintaining the lighthouse keepers cottage and conducting weed control projects.
Please note: park entry is bookable online prior to arrival.