Copley

Locality

Tourists have been known to travel for miles for a bite of bush baking at the Quandong Cafe in Copley.

Here you can join the twice-weekly mail run to nearby stations and Aboriginal communities at Nepabunna and Iga Warta and also see the Mount of Light copper mine and Copley’s historic two-storey Leigh Creek Hotel.

To the east of Copley, the road leads to Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary and the rugged Gammon Ranges National Park. Nineteen kilometres north are the Leigh Creek coalfields. Continuing north, the road goes on to Lyndhurst – gateway to the Outback desert parks run by National Parks and Wildlife South Australia.

Originally named Leigh Creek after a nearby pastoral holding, it was surveyed in 1891 and officially named Copley after William Copley, Commissioner of Crown lands. The Great Northern Railway made its way to the town in 1881.

Nearby Accommodation

View All
Arkaroola accommodation

Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary

Arkaroola

Prairie Hotel, Parachilna, Flinders Ranges and Outback, South Australia

Prairie Hotel

Parachilna

Nearby Things to Do

View All
arkaroola star trails

Arkaroola Astronomical Observatory

Arkaroola

Ridgetop area Arkaroola

Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary

Arkaroola

Exploring the historic Blinman Mine tunnels

Heritage Blinman Mine Tours

Blinman