Glossop is a small town in the Riverland region of South Australia. It was gazetted in 1921 as the town in a soldier settlement area after World War One and was named after Admiral Glossop, who had been in charge of HMAS Sydney when it sank SMS Emden in 1914. At the 2011 census, Glossop had a population of 931.
Berri Estates, a large winery originally owned by a local co-operative but now owned by Constellation Brands, is located near the centre of Glossop. It is the home of Riverland Christian School, Glossop Primary School and Glossop High School, one of the region’s four high schools (the others being at Loxton, Waikerie and Renmark).
Although one of the smaller towns of South Australia’s Riverland region, Glossop is the home of a gallery of Australian Aboriginal art, a small deli (in the Australian sense of the word), two petrol stations, and some hardware shops. It also has a number of religious centres servicing the region including a Sikh Temple, and an Apostolic (Christian pentecostal) church (Riverland Central Christian Church). It is on the Old Sturt Highway, between the more major towns of Barmera and Berri, Glossop also has a motel outside which is situated in front of Captain Glossop’s Anchor.