Situated almost in the geographical centre of the Eyre Peninsula and thus an ideal base, Lock is a small town with good facilities set in a thriving sheep-farming and cereal growing district. The town was proclaimed in March 1918. It was named after Corporal Albert Lock, a local landholder who was killed in action in Belgium in 1917.
Accommodation is provided by way of a hotel and a caravan park. Sporting facilities also include an 18-hole golf course, bowling greens, turfed oval, tennis courts, swimming pool, wading pool and playground within licensed sporting complex and a racecourse. Lock also has a supermarket and takeaway and a landing strip for small aircraft.