Campbell Town

Urban

Campbell Town was one of the early coaching stops on the main route between Launceston and Hobart and is still a popular place to stop today with good eateries for snacks or lunches, plus antique and specialty shops of all sorts and lovely picnic spots by the river.
The town on the banks of the tranquil Elizabeth River and was named by Governor Lachlan Macquarie after his wife’s family name during a visit in 1821. He also named the river and lots of other things after her on his trip. (The name Elizabeth pops up repeatedly across southern and central Tasmania.)
Campbell Town has an impressive collection of colonial buildings including The Grange – designed by convict architect James Blackburn in the late 1840s, the Foxhunters Return – a lovely example of a 19th century inn built in 1834, and the convict-built Red Bridge built in 1836.
Campbell Town is a 45-min drive (70 km) from Launceston.

Nearby Accommodation

View All
Entry from drive way view

Ross Motel

Ross, Northern Midlands

21 Church Street Ross

Christopher Hall’s Colonial Accommodation

Ross, Northern Midlands

Ivy on Glenelg

Ivy On Glenelg

Campbell Town, Northern Midlands

Nearby Things to Do

View All
Book Cellar- The

Book Cellar- The

Campbell Town, Northern Midlands

Gallery layout

Gallery 81

Campbell Town, Northern Midlands

Playing golf

Campbell Town Golf Club

Campbell Town, Northern Midlands