The Archibald Fountain is a Sydney landmark situated in Hyde Park North at the centre of Birubi Circle. The fountain was created by French sculptor Francois Sicard to commemorate the allied forces of France and Australia in WWI. The Art Deco structure was unveiled in 1932 and was donated by J.F. Archibald, former owner and editor of The Bulletin magazine.
Although the sculpture was originally created to celebrate the new bond between France and Australia, Sicard drew inspiration from Greek mythology to create his public artwork. His overarching goal was to create a structure with a theme of peace, in light of the atrocities of war. These two ideas can be seen in his use of three mythological characters; DIana, who brought harmony to the world, Pan, who watched over fields and pastures and Theseus, famed for conquering the minotaur, who acts as a symbol for sacrifice for the greater good.
Disabled AssistanceDisabled access available