Berrima was established in the 1830s during a time of great exploration and expansion in New South Wales. In 1829 surveyor general Major Thomas Mitchell camped near the site of the present bridge over the Wingecarribee River while surveying the route for the Great South Road. He advised governor Bourke that there was an ideal town site, and surveyor Robert Hoddle submitted a plan for the village which was approved in 1831.
Berrima is widely recognised as the best preserved example of a Georgian village on the Australian mainland. A fortunate series of events created the Berrima you see today. 1831 to the 1860s was a time of promise and growth, which came to an abrupt end when the railway bypassed the village in 1867. For the next hundred years there was little or no development in the village. However, this is a wonderful historic town to visit.
Visit the web site for a list of Heritage sites.
Carpark Caters for limited mobility History & Heritage Picnic Area Public Toilet Scenic Drives Visitor Information Centre Walk