To solve early Campbelltown’s unreliable water supply problems, a reservoir and cattle tank were constructed in Allman Street in 1838 using convict labour.
The reservoir provided the town with water from 1840 to 1889.
It continued to be used for recreational purposes, including a huge regatta in 1917. Sadly, the cattle tank became polluted and were the scene of two drowning fatalities in the 1920s and 1930s. The water had disappeared in the early 1960s after the topography of the land changed from nearby earthworks.
The cattle tank and reservoir are both heritage listed and are believed to be the last convict-built constructions in Campbelltown.
Disabled AssistanceDisabled access available