Walbundrie Public School commenced classes in January 1878, with the old schoolhouse erected in June 1878 at a cost of 446 pounds, with enrolments of up to 60 students along with a teacher’s residence.
Today the building is a reminder of the town’s prosperity around the late 1800s, and is located on land at the Walbundrie Showgrounds. The School was relocated in October 1923 to its present site.
Students recall that between 1900 and 1910 there were visits from a school doctor. “A door was used as an operating table and tonsils were removed, if a note from a parent had mentioned tonsillitis. Recovery was on the porch or on the wood-heap. One of the locals acted as an ambulance, transporting the children home in his spring cart.”
Border NSW/VIC Disabled access available History & Heritage International