The Phosphate Mine is located at the Wellington Caves Holiday Complex. The mine dates back to 1914, with 6000 tons of phosphate mined during its four years of operation. The phosphate was used as a fertiliser. Megafauna bones dating back to the Pleistocene Period two million years ago, were first discovered at Wellington and many are visible in the mud walls of the mine. Charles Darwin became interested in this discovery as it was influential on his thoughts on evolution.
The restoration and refurbishment of the mine as a tourist attraction began in 1995 opening in 1996. The mine is accessible to those in wheelchairs, prams and the elderly. A guided tour of the mine takes one hour to complete. Hard hats are supplied and must be worn in the mine.