Albert Namatjira’s house was constructed by the great artist himself with the help of other local men in 1944, after the success of an exhibition in Melbourne. Built of local materials, the house reflected the style, materials and techniques used at Hermannsburg Mission over many years.
Namatjira and his family lived in the house for only five years before they moved out for cultural reasons following the death of a child after which relatives cared for the house. Following renovation in 1971 and conservation work in 1986, it was used as a small museum and craft outlet.
The house is significant for its associations with the man who gained national and international fame. That fame and its many obligations eventually took its toll on his health and life, however his works remain a vital part of the heritage of the Northern Territory and Australia.
Aboriginal Culture Carpark Caters for hearing impairment Caters for limited mobility Caters for vision impairment History & Heritage Scenic Drives Walk Walks