The Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve preserves the original stone buildings of The Telegraph Station, which have been restored with furnishings and artefacts from the early 1900s. Wander through the grounds and buildings and use the special franking stamp to post a letter at the post office.
Set against the magnificent MacDonnell Ranges, the reserve is also a popular place for a walk, picnic and watching wildlife.
The Alice Springs Telegraph Station is the best preserved of the 12 stations along the Overland Telegraph Line, which was established in 1872 to relay messages between Darwin and Adelaide.
The reserve marks the original site of the Alice Springs settlement, which took its name after the waterhole a short distance to the east of the station. The Station operated for 60 years, then served as a school for Aboriginal children.
Located 4 kilometres north of Alice Springs, the reserve is accessible by two-wheel drive vehicle. There’s a shared walking and cycling track into the reserve from the Stuart Highway and the Todd River. Entry to the reserve is free but an entry fee applies to the historic precinct.
Aboriginal Culture Australian Tourism Accreditation Birdwatching Carpark Coach Parking Cycling Disabled access available Family Friendly Hiking History & Heritage International Kiosk Mountain Biking Nature & Wildlife Picnic Area Public Toilet Regional Tourist/Tourism Association/Organisation Visitor Information Centre Walk Walks
Entry fees apply to Heritage precinct