Bonney Well is one of only three remaining stock wells on the North-South Stock Route with stone dumps intact. The Well and associated remains are a good representative example of a government-built stock well constructed during the late 19th century. First dug in 1878-79 by the expedition overlanding cattle and sheep to Springvale by Arthur and Alfred Giles, Bonney Well was deepened between 1883 and 1884. A stone dump and whip system were added in 1892. The whip system no longer remains but the stone dump, tank stand and evidence of the location of troughing from this era are present. The bore, windmill and tank installed in the late 1930s and a later cement tank provide a good example of that era in the Territory’s industrial heritage when bores replaced wells as the principal means of water supply for stock.