Hermannsburg Historic Precinct

Galleries, Museums and Collections

Hermannsburg (est. 1877) was originally a Lutheran mission and was the first town in Central Australia, pre-dating Alice Springs. It was also home to the famous Aboriginal watercolour artist, Albert Namatjira. In 1982 the area was returned to the Aboriginal people and in 1988, the German style whitewashed buildings were restored to their original 19th century condition. It is now on the National Heritage Register. Over a dozen buildings including the church, school buildings, tannery, meathouse and various mission residences can be explored. These buildings date to the 1880’s and 1890’s. As you wander through the buildings, learn of the sorrows and the joys of the early missionaries but more importantly learn how the local Aranda people and the Europeans worked together to survive and thrive.

Facilities

Aboriginal Culture Australian Tourism Accreditation Cafe Carpark Caters for hearing impairment Caters for limited mobility Coach Parking Free Wifi History & Heritage International National Trust National Trust Picnic Area Public Toilet Regional Tourist/Tourism Association/Organisation

Rates

From AU$10.00

Nearby Things to Do

View All
Hermannsburg Potters

Hermannsburg Potters

Hermannsburg, MacDonnell

Hermannsburg Historic Precinct

Hermannsburg Historic Precinct

Hermannsburg, MacDonnell

Albert Namatjira's House

Albert Namatjira’s House

Hermannsburg, MacDonnell

Finke River Roaming

Finke River Adventures

Hermannsburg, MacDonnell

Detail of Plaque

Albert Namatjira Memorial

Namatjira, MacDonnell

Contact Us