The Maranboy Mining Precinct, established in 1913-14, is significant to the Territory as an example of European 20th century mining operations and settlement.
The precinct was active until the late 1950s and includes ore crushing batteries and stamps, tin processing plant, tin mines, police buildings, a hospital, cemetery, sawmill, houses and a range of mining machinery and equipment. Some elements of the batteries’ operation, notably the use of steam-driven stamps and later the use of diesel engines, represents transitional phases of mining in the Territory.
Mining operations at the precinct introduced European commodities and jobs to a large number of Aboriginal people of different language groups and tribal affiliations. The migration and incorporation of the various tribal groups was instrumental for the establishment of the thriving Aboriginal community of Barunga.