Katherine Railway Station located on Railway Terrace was built in 1926 and serviced the extension of the railway from Pine Creek to Katherine, which had become the centre of a major cattle-shipping scheme. The railway served the interests of Vestey’s Meatworks during their operation in Darwin and during World War II the Old Katherine Railway Station became the headquarters of the North Australian Railway.
The building houses an interesting display on railway history and the role of civilians during the war, part of the building is currently used as a second-hand bookshop.
Family Friendly History & Heritage International National Trust National Trust
Free to National Trust Members