Remnant No 6 Oil Tank Wall

Historical Sites and Heritage Locations

The remnant WWII No. 6 Oil Tank is a semi-circular concrete shell located at the base of Stokes Hill. Built in 1942 after the initial Japanese aerial attacks on Darwin, this concrete splinter-proof wall was designed to protect the internal steel oil tank from shrapnel damage. This concrete tank formed part of the protection measures of the Oil Fuel Installation which also included air raid shelters, bunds and concrete splinter-proof walls around oil pipes, much of which has since been removed. In close proximity to the Steam Pump House, this remnant wall evokes wartime associations and is a highly significant element as a component of the original Oil Fuel Installation configuration.

Facilities

Activities

Walks

Disabled Assistance

Disabled access available

Nearby Things to Do

View All
flying over Darwin city

Nautilus Aviation

Charles Darwin

Northern Territory

Topdeck Travel

Darwin

Old Boab Tree in Cavenagh Street

Old Boab Tree in Cavenagh Street

Darwin

Picnic at Cullen Bay

Picnic at Cullen Bay

Larrakeyah, Darwin

Recreation Lagoon

Darwin Waterfront Recreation Lagoon

Darwin

Stokes Hill Darwin City

Stokes Hill

Darwin

Contact Us