The site is the former Southport town site cemetery.
The Southport Cemetery, circa 1873 – 1887, located south west of Darwin, is associated with the town of Southport, which was surveyed by George Woodroofe Goyder in 1869 and settled soon afterwards. Southport was an important district centre and port for the construction crews of the Overland Telegraph Line and prospectors travelling to the inland goldfields, and despite its short life, played a fundamental role in the development of the Territory. Sixty six (66) people are recorded as being buried in the cemetery, mostly Chinese.
Difficulties in living in a tropical climate in a remote location may be inferred from the numbers and causes of deaths and the variety of age, sex and former occupations of the deceased provide significant information in determining the population profile of Southport. The Southport Cemetery provides a tangible reminder of the exploits and lives of many who have contributed to the development of the Territory. Each grave represents the last resting place of people whose contribution collectively is important to the interpretation of the Territory’s historical, social and cultural background.
Caters for limited mobility Hiking Scenic Drives Walk Walks