The WWII Navy Victualling Yards were constructed as part of the build-up for defence purposes in the late 1930’s. They were a vital component in the logistics and supply requirements of the Royal Australian Navy. The buildings were constructed following tenders in 1938 No 371/38 and later in 1940 No 188/40.
Additional buildings were constructed opposite the present stores adjacent to Channel 9 and extensions were added to a number of buildings in 1942. The main stores backed onto the railway line to facilitate access. The H.M.A. Victualling Yard, Darwin was designed to feed all Navy, Army and Air Force personnel based at Darwin. In the event of emergency, the Yard was designed to carry emergency rations (42 days full ration, plus 42 days half ration) for all Defence and Civilian population, up to a total of 8000 persons
This building is now the workshop and archives for the Aviation Historical Society of the NT and as such is not open to the public. Visits can be arranged by contacting our team at the Darwin Aviation Museum.
Disabled AssistanceDisabled access available