Remnant, No 6 Oil Tank Walls

Historical Sites and Heritage Locations

The remnant WWII No.6 Oil Tank is a semi-circular concrete shell located at the base of Stokes Hill. Built in 1942 after the initial Japanese aerial attacks on Darwin, this concrete splinter-proof wall was designed to protect the internal steel oil tank from shrapnel damage. This concrete tank formed part of the protection measures of the Oil Fuel Installation which also included air raid shelters, bunds and concrete splinter-proof walls around oil pipes, much of which has since been removed. In close proximity to the Steam Pump House, this remnant wall evokes wartime associations and is a highly significant element as a component of the original Oil Fuel Installation configuration.

Facilities

Walk

Nearby Things to Do

View All
Vintage with a Twist - Darwin Area - Northern Territory

Vintage Twist

Darwin

Kimberley Adventure Tours, Broome, Western Australia

Kimberley Adventure Tours

Darwin

Galvans Gorge - Gibb River Road

Aussie Wanderer Tours and Safaris

Darwin

The Rugby Shop, Darwin Area, Northern Territory, Australia

The Rugby Shop

Darwin

Maningrida Arts and Culture

Maningrida Arts and Culture Darwin

Darwin

Tiwi Art Network, Darwin Area, Northern Territory, Australia

Tiwi Art Network

Parap, Darwin

Contact Us