Brooklyn House was built for William Rankin by Howard carpenter, Stephen Ward, in 1890. Rankin came from Scotland in 1884 as manager of Queensland Colliers Limited coal mine.
The house was was originally on 5000 acres owned by the Rankin family. Dame Annabelle Rankin, Australia’s second female senator and the first Queensland woman elected to the Australian Parliament, lived there as a child. Although the land-holding has since been reduced to 4 acres, it has a beautiful lush garden that almost hides the house from view.
Once a social hub and showpiece of the region, the house is built largely of cedar and beech, with 14 foot high ceilings, two marble and two cedar open fireplaces, open 9 foot wide verandahs and a grand double-stairway entrance.