Take a close look at the sprawling weeping figs on trendy Bulimba’s Oxford Street: they are what’s left of a living tribute to serviceman killed in action in WWI. The trees, planted between 1919 and 1923, flanked three sides of the memorial park, dedicated in November 1919. Name plaques were once attached.
A wrought iron arch bearing the words ‘Memorial Park’ presents a formal gateway to the park and a lectern-like concrete pillar bears a brass memorial plaque to the soldiers, sailors and nurses of Bulimba who enlisted.
Local fundraising also enabled the park’s two-storeyed grandstand to be built, in 1923, as a further memorial. Its architect is thought to have been GMH Addison who designed the ferry terminal building at the end of Oxford Street. The 4.6ha park is a popular place for family outings, picnickers and sport year-round.
Disabled access available History & Heritage International Walk Walks