Bundaberg War Nurses Memorial and Park

Historical Sites and Heritage Locations Landmarks and Buildings

A pavilion in Bundaberg is Queensland’s only war memorial specifically honouring the women who tended the injured behind battlelines in WWI. The sugar city’s mayor FH Buss officially opened the Bundaberg War Nurses Memorial on 15 October 1949.

The stucco and terracotta tiled building with arched openings cost more than £1000, raised in just seven weeks by public subscription and fundraising by Bundaberg General Hospital and the women of the Red Cross.

The memorial honours 12 local women who served as nursing sisters in WWI and four who served in WWII, two of whom died: one as a Japanese prisoner of war and the other in the sinking of the Centaur.

The Memorial Pavilion can be found in a triangular-shaped park planted with palm trees, dominated by a water tower, opposite the Bundaberg Base Hospital.

Facilities

History & Heritage Walk

Nearby Things to Do

View All
Bundaberg War Nurses Memorial and Park

Bundaberg War Nurses Memorial and Park

Bundaberg West, Bundaberg

At Tinaberries farm

Bundy Food Tours

Bundaberg West, Bundaberg

Boreham Park and Playground

Boreham Park and Playground

Avenell Heights, Bundaberg

View from Lions Park, North Bundaberg

Lions Park, North Bundaberg

Bundaberg North, Bundaberg

Bundaberg War Memorial

Bundaberg War Memorial

Bundaberg

Bundaberg Library

Bundaberg Regional Library

Bundaberg

Contact Us