The Gold Coast Museum was opened in 1972, believed to be a former Aboriginal gathering place with middens. The heritage listed grounds and trees of one and a quarter acres include littoral forest and gardens planted with ancient native vegetation. Bundall sugar mill was in the vicinity from 1872 until 1888 and family members of those who worked at the mill have been buried with marked graves within the grounds.
The grounds were part of the ABC Open Garden Scheme in 2009.
The historical collection includes the Cable Station equipment which was in operation from 1902; Paula Stafford Bikini Collection worn in the 1950s; part of the wreckage of the Scottish Prince which was wrecked off Stradbroke Island 1887; a large Aboriginal artefact collection; and some 2,500 objects, 1,500 photographs of the Gold Coast area, archival records including old newspapers, maps, development plans and books of local interest and much more.
The museum also includes Vincent Sheldon Artist Studio, which is heritage listed and was originally situated at Broadbeach’; a replica of early settler Robert Veiver’s (1861) cottage, built in 1976; and buildings housing machinery and tools from the farming, sugar and timber industries from the mid 1800s.
Caters for limited mobility History & Heritage Public Toilet Regional Tourist/Tourism Association/Organisation