Toowong Memorial Park, home to Western Districts Rugby Football Club, can be packed with spectators in season, unaware of historic tributes just metres from the footy oval, towards Brisbane River.
Parliamentarian EM Macartney officially opened Toowong Memorial Park on 7 September 1918 in honour of the 101 locals who enlisted in WWI. Decorative wrought iron memorial gates were erected to mark the park’s official opening.
Beyond, on the summit of a ridge, is the 12 metre high Toowong Soldiers’ Memorial, unveiled by Governor Sir Matthew Nathan on 2 July 1922. A fluted column with a Queensland marble drinking fountain at its base, surrounded by carved wreaths and swags, this memorial’s base provides a valuable roll call of local involvement, naming all who enlisted on three marble slabs.
A commemorative avenue of palms was planted in 1918. A large section was relocated in 1993 to run parallel to Sylvan Road from the car park, curving gently towards the memorial gates.
Dawn ANZAC Day services proceed along this avenue, gathering at a more recent RSL memorial cairn, inside the gates.
Disabled AssistanceDisabled access available