The Goolwa History Walks connect 3 separate walks around the historic Goolwa township.
Walk 1 – Cadell Street (allow 50 minutes, distance 900 metres)
Walk 2 – Goolwa Wharf Precinct (allow 1 hour, distance 1300 metres)
Walk 3 – Little Scotland (allow 1.5 hours, distance 1400 metres)
All 3 walks Commence at the Goolwa Visitor Information Centre.
The Goolwa Wharf and Railway Precinct predates the establishment of Goolwa as we know it today. The original survey of ‘Town on the Goolwa’ in 1839 positioned the town to the north of the present railway line; however, this was not suitable for the establishment of a port as the water was too shallow close to the river bank. With the navigation of the Murray River accomplished in 1851, an immediate start was made to the construction of a railway to link this river port to Port Elliot, which was completed in 1854 and extended to Victor Harbor in 1864.
Disabled AssistanceDisabled access available
MembershipVisitor Information Centre
Nearby Things to DoView All