One of three original cottages built at Kingscote in 1856. The cottage has a collection of items depicting the early settlement of Kingscote, the site of South Australia’s first official settlement, including the history of many early pioneers, photographs, automobile memorabilia, laundry display and an original cellar that can be viewed.
The display includes a large range of obsolete farm machinery, tractors and engines including the Ruston Hornsby engine which powered the electricity supply for Kingscote before the introduction of electricity from the mainland and a restored pre-diesel internal combustion engine. Some of the tractors and motor vehicles are still operational and more items are regularly obtained and restored.
The Lighthouse tower with light assembly was brought from Cape Willoughby when it became obsolete with the introduction of mainland electricity to Kangaroo Island in 1968. A good view of the town can be seen from the balcony of the tower.
Disabled AssistanceDisabled access available