In 1851, up to 2,000 miners and their families lived in these dugouts along the riverbed. Floods drove many people out into the homes built by the mining companies.
Wages were low, but some miners continued to live in poor conditions with the constant threat of floods and disease, rather than pay rent. By 1860, the dugouts were virtually deserted.
Entrance to the Miners’ Dugouts is included in the Burra Heritage Passport, available from the Burra and Goyder Visitor Information Centre, 2 Market Square, Burra, and can be opened with a key during daylight hours when using the Burra Heritage Passport.
Disabled AssistanceDisabled access available
MembershipAustralian Museums and Galleries Association Regional Tourist/Tourism Association/Organisation Visitor Information Centre