The chancel built in 1884 is the oldest public building in Kingscote. Originally it was the first public school and was also used for council meetings. It wasn’t until 1903 that the building was completed and dedicated to St Albans. Of particular note are the two stained glassed windows. The east window, installed in 1980, was obtained from a demolished church in England and the west window was designed and crafted in South Australia. The latter depicts many Island elements, including branches of the Old Mulberry Tree.