The exact symbolism of the badge is unknown, other than to indicate historical ties with England. The badge was approved by the British Colonial office in 1875 and the design of the Tasmanian flag has remained unchanged since then, save for a slight alteration in the rendition of the lion in 1975 when the flag was officially proclaimed as the “Tasmanian Flag”.
Elements of the Flag
General Description- A Blue Ensign with the proportions two by one consisting of a blue flag with the Union Jack occupying the upper quarter next to the staff with a lion “Passant” red on the white shield in the fly.
The White Shield – A circular white ground with a diameter equal to three-sevenths of a breadth of the flag and positioned with its centre one-quarter of the length of the flag from the edge of the fly and on the line between the upper and lower quarters.
The Lion – A red lion in the “Passant” position fimbriated in black inside the white shield facing towards the staff.
Tasmania Coat of Arms
Premier’s Office, Hobart, 7th March, 1919
His Excellency the Governor directs the publication for general information of the enclosed copy of the Royal Warrant granting Armorial Ensigns and Supporters to the State of Tasmania.
By His Excellency’s Command, W. H. LEE, Premier.
George the Fifth by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and of the British Dominions beyond the Seas King, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India To Our Trusty and Well Beloved Edmund Bernard Talbot, Esquire (commonly called Lord Edmund Bernard Talbot), Member of Our Royal Victorian Order Companion of the Distinguished Service Order, Deputy to Our Right Trusty and Right Entirely Beloved Cousin Bernard Marmaduke, Duke of Norfolk, Earl Marshal and Our Hereditary Marshal of England Greeting.
Whereas for the greater honour and distinction of Our State of Tasmania We are desirous that Armorial Ensigns and Supporters should be assigned for that State: Know Ye therefore that We of our Princely Grace and Special Favour have granted and assigned and by these Presents do grant and assign the following Armorial Ensigns for the said State of Tasmania that is to say:- Quarterly Gules and barry wavy Argent and Azure a Fesse of the second charged with a Ram statant proper between in chief a Garb and a Thunderbolt and in base four Apples and a Branch of Hops all Or, For the Crest On a Wreath Argent and Gules: A Lion statant Gules resting the dexter fore paw on a Spade and a Pick-axe in saltire proper: And for Supporters, on either side A Tasmanian Tiger proper, with the motto “Ubertas et Fidelitas” as the same are in the painting hereunto annexed more plainly – depicted to be borne for the said State of Tasmania upon Seals Shields, Banners or otherwise according to the Laws of Arms.
Our Will and Pleasure therefore is that You Edmund Bernard Talbot (commonly called Lord Edmund Bernard Talbot), Deputy to Our said Earl Marshal, to whom the cognizance of matters of this nature doth properly belong do require and command that this Our Concession and Declaration be recorded in Our College of Arms in order that Our Officers of Arms and all other Public Functionaries whom it may concern may take full notice and have knowledge thereof: And for so doing this shall be your Warrant.
Given at Our Court at Saint James this twenty first day of May 1917 in the Eighth year of Our Reign.
By His Majesty’s Command
Walter H. Long.
I hereby certify that the foregoing copy of the Royal Warrant assigning Armorial Ensigns and Supporters to the State of Tasmania is faithfully extracted from the Records of the College of Arms, London. As witness – my hand at the said College of Arms this thirty first day of May One thousand nine hundred and seventeen.
Tasmania Floral Emblem
The Tasmanian Blue Gum, Eucalyptus glolulus Labill., was collected from the south-east coast of Tasmania in 1792-93 by the French naturalist J. J. H. de Labillardiere and was described and illustrated by him in 1799. Labillardiere was a member of the expedition which, under the command of Bruny d’Entrecasteaux, sailed to the southern hemisphere in search of the missing explorer J. F. G. de La Perouse.
In favourable situations the Tasmanian Blue Gum grows into a tall tree of height up to about 200 feet. The trunk is smooth and greyish-white in the upper part where the bark peels in long reddish-brown ribbons; at the base the bark is often persistent, rough and deeply furrowed. The name “Blue Gum” refers to the appearance of the juvenile leaves which are borne in opposite pairs on square stems. These leaves are glaucous (bluish-grey and covered with a waxy bloom), 2.5 – 6 inches long, almost oblong but bluntly pointed at the tip and rounded at the base; they are more strongly scented than those of the mature tree and contain large quantities of the essential oils cineole and phellandrene. The leaves of the mature tree are borne alternately on rounded stems, they are green and glossy, shortly-stalked, 6-14 inches long and usually sickle-shaped.
The flowers, which are larger than those of other Tasmanian eucalypts, usually occur singly in the axils of the leaves. The flower-buds maybe up to three-quarters of an inch in diameter, they are coarsely ribbed, warty and are, as in all eucalypts, closed by an operculum or cap representing the sepals and petals. This cap is finally shed exposing a very large number of white stamens arranged in several rows near the outside. Within the stamens a thick nectar-secreting disk extends partly over the top of the ovary. Flowering occurs fairly regularly each year in early Summer; bees collect both pollen and nectar and a characteristic amber-coloured honey is produced. The large woody fruit is almost flat-topped and opens by 4 – 5 valves throuh which numerous small seeds are shed.
The Tasmanian Blue Gum is widespread and locally abundant in southern and eastern Tasmania and in the middle reaches of the River Derwent; it attains its maximum size in well-drained soils and in sheltered valleys. The tree occurs, although in restricted areas, near the west and south coasts and also in King and Flinders Islands and in Victoria at Wilson’s Promontory and at Cape Otway.
Of all the Australian eucalypts E. globulus is the species which has been most widely introduced overseas. The tree has been established throughout the Mediterranean region and in highlands of the tropics in many parts of Africa and in India; it is widespread in California and in parts of Chile, Argentina and New Zealand. In addition to its ornamental value the Tasmanian Blue Gum is of considerable economic importance in many of these regions and is extensively used for pit props and as a source of fuel and for paper-pulp; oil is also extracted. The seasoned timber is especially valuable for heavy construction work such as wharves, bridges and railway sleepers, being very durable both in the ground and in water.
Tasmania Animal Emblem (Unofficial)
Tasmania does not have an official animal emblem, although the Tasmanian Devil can be considered the as the unofficial favourite and is commonly accepted as such. The Tasmanian Devil is an iconic symbol of Tasmania and many Tasmanian businesses and products use the animal in their logos. It is seen as an important reference for tourism into Tasmania.
The Tasmanian Devil is a carnivorous marsupial and is only found wild within Tasmania. There are many unfounded myths surrounding the devil including that they are man eaters. They have a large head and neck which give it the title for the strongest bite of any living mammal based on its body mass. It is also quite capable of climbing trees, swimming and is the largest living carnivorous marsupial in the world.