The Chiltern Athenaeum building was erected in 1866, replacing an earlier timber construction and used as Council Chambers, the Town Hall and Library/Reading Rooms for many years. When the Library was relocated in 1970 many old books remained in the present building forming an interesting collection of Goldfields reading matter in its original setting. About this time the Chiltern Athenaeum was formed by enthusiastic volunteer members of the public who still collect and operate the museum today. A vast collection of items greets the visitor and an ever-changing seasonal display acknowledges life in the early days of the colony.
Carpark Coach Parking Disabled access available Enquiry Desk Family Friendly Museums Galleries Australia Non Smoking Shop Visitor Information Centre