The tiny town of Tarraville, located near Port Albert is notable for its early wooden Church of England – Christ Church. The building is listed on National Estate records as Victoria’s second oldest timber building.
The Christ Church is a rectangular timber Gothic Revival which was built in 1856 to a design by J. H. W. Pettit and George Hastings.
It was reputedly the first church in Gippsland and is a rare surviving example of drop slab construction, with the building being constructed without the use of nails. In recent times it has been painted blue and cream.