The Federal Standard Printing Works

Historical Sites and Heritage Locations

Established in 1859, the Federal Standard Printing Works is one of the few substantially intact provincial newspaper printeries remaining from the gold mining era.

The first proprietors were Felix Ashworth, George Boyer, and George H Mott. Within two years the Federal Standard had incorporated Rutherglen’s first newspaper, The Murray Gazette, Albury’s first newspaper, The Border Post, and The Ovens Constitution at Beechworth. To carry out these tasks, large steam-driven printing machinery was installed capable of producing 2,000 impressions per hour.

The papers published were among the most influential in Victoria. George Henry Mott’s influence was considerable and many he employed established papers elsewhere. In a period of 112 years the Mott family owned and published some 45 newspapers either wholly or in partnership.

When the building was purchased it had been used as a newspaper and jobbing printing office for over 110 years. The equipment in it was much as you see today. It is a mixture of printing equipment from the 1870s through to the 1920s.

The equipment includes two presses, a linotype machine and metal text and graphics in original type cases.

Open the second Sunday of the month from 10:00am to 3:00pm.

Facilities

History & Heritage National Trust

Rates

ADULT From $1 to $5

National Trust Members visit for free

Nearby Things to Do

View All
The Magenta Open Cut

Magenta Mine Cycle Route

Chiltern, Indigo

View from the top of Mt Pilot

Mt Pilot Cycle Route

Chiltern, Indigo

Box ironbark forest outside Chiltern

Honeyeater Cycle Route

Chiltern, Indigo

Chiltern Old Cemetery

Barambogie Cycle Route

Chiltern, Indigo

Donchi Hill

Chiltern Valley Cycle Route

Chiltern, Indigo

The Federal Standard Printing Works

The Federal Standard Printing Works

Chiltern, Indigo

Contact Us