The Carnarvon Heritage Precinct is home to the One Mile Jetty, Lighthouse Keepers Cottage, walk trails and many other attractions.
As the pastoral industry developed in Carnarvon in the late 1800s the local population pressured the government of the day to develop a port for the town. By 1897 the jetty had been built and wool and livestock produced in the region began to be exported to Fremantle and essential goods for the town were imported using state shipping. In 1904 the head of the jetty was added and in 1912 the jetty head was widened because of increasing traffic, including passengers.
Carnarvon was the first port in Western Australia which loaded livestock on board ships for transport to markets.
The One Mile Jetty once boasted an animal race the length of the jetty along which the sheep and cattle were driven from holding yards where the Interpretive Centre is today. The jetty transport system and diesel locos on the tramway ceased in 1966 when state ships stopped calling. Road train transport commenced, and the jetty began to fall into disrepair until 1998 when the community banded together to save what is the longest jetty in the north of the state.
Please note that the jetty is closed for renovations until further notice.