The Colonial Gaol within Guildford’s Heritage Precinct was built in stages between 1841 and 1867. It is looked after and opened to the public by the Swan Guildford Historical Society. The Gaol and its neighbouring Courthouse are on the State Register of Heritage Places. Both buildings are fine examples of Colonial architecture.
Over the years, the Gaol (really a small lock up) contained people for all types of crimes, ranging from short stays to sleep off the effects of alcohol, to more serious crimes. These offenders were locked up temporarily, then taken to Perth or Fremantle Gaol to await trial and sentencing.
Parts of the Gaol were built by convict labour between 1850 and 1868. A Magistrate’s room was added in 1853, where cases were heard for thirteen years. The court then moved to the Guildford Court House (now the Swan Valley Visitor’s Centre). At full capacity the Gaol had 11 cells, a large exercise yard and a horse stable nearby. Other historic buildings in the vicinity include a house for the Police Sergeant and for the Police Constable.
Disabled AssistanceCaters for challenges with learning and communication
MembershipAustralian Museums and Galleries Association