This heritage listed theatre on Bates Street has been a proud fixture in Merredin’s cultural history since it was relocated from Coolgardie in 1927.
Originally for film screening, Cummins Theatre was one of the first venues to show “talking” pictures in the Commonwealth and for many years was considered state of the art in its field. The theatre owes its existence in Merredin to James Cummins, who was the Mayor of Kalgoorlie and owner of both the Merredin and Kalgoorlie breweries. Mr Cummins purchased the Tivoli Theatre, which had been built in Coolgardie in 1897, and had it dismantled and sent in pieces to Merredin by train. Here, the thirty year old theatre was rebuilt where it stands today on Bates Street. Renamed in honour of its founder, Cummins Theatre opened to the public on 10 October 1928.
Cummins Theatre had extensive conservation work completed in September 2010 and now holds a wide variety of touring productions, theatrical and musical performances.
Bar Carpark Coach Parking Conference/Convention Facilities Disabled access available History & Heritage International Public Toilet Wheelchair access