The derelict mining town of Mount Palmer near Southern Cross offers an intriguing look at the life of a prospector in the early 1900s. Take a stroll through the ruins of the town and imagine it in its heyday, when hopefuls came to make their fortune.
Established in 1934 with the discovery of gold by the town’s namesake Augustus Palmer, the town prospered for just nine years but closed its doors due to the labour shortage brought about by World War II.
Visit the ruins of Mount Palmer’s hotel. Renowned as being the most pretentious two storey hotel in the Goldfields, all that remains is its main arch. The bricks were taken to Kalgoorlie and now form part of the Bankwest Building in Hannan Street. Informative signs through Mount Palmer will enlighten you with the town’s gold mining history and display photographs of various buildings that used to stand.
Mount Palmer is 20 minutes from the historical mining town of Southern Cross and a four hour drive east of Perth. Take a drive to see the open cut mine where gold is still mined today and visit the remains of Fraser’s Mine where gold was discovered over 120 years ago.