This restrained gothic-style Church was built by George Hasell, assisted by a Stonemason named Esau Wetherall and a shingle splitter, MacKnoe. It’s red brick facade was complimented by the bush timber bell tower (still standing) and timber shingles on the roof. Built in 1862, it was one of the very first buildings constructed in Newcastle.
Reverend Charles Harper had been Minister to the Anglican congregation since 1849 and received 25 pounds upon his ordination to build a church in Toodyay. It was May 1862 that Bishop Hale, Lord Bishop of the Diocese of Perth congregation, consecrated the Church and it opened for services.
A Flooded Gum (Eucalyptus rudis) that is more than 375 years old towers over the church. It is an icon of the town that has been threatened by development a number of times, but its historical significance is now well recognised. The trimming of the upper branches of the tree was to prevent it striking overhead powerlines, which have since been run underground.
Disabled AssistanceDisabled access available