Sun Pictures opened 9 December 1916 with its marble soda fountain, confectionery bar, cane and deck chair seating, it was the era of silent movies and the entertainment was presented complete with an accompanying pianist. The ‘picture garden’ quickly became the central place for entertainment and social meeting in Broome.
In 1924 Sun Pictures changed hands but continued to run as a cinema until then owners William Henry Milner, Harry and Rupert Leonard Knight were forcibly evacuated two days before Japanese Zeros bombed Broome in March 1942.
Sun Picture Gardens was bought by Mr and Mrs Walter James Anderson in 1948 who continued the tradition of screening films until they sold the theatre to master pearler Alfred Morgan and his wife Ruby in 1953. Local identities Peter and Jean Haynes managed the theatre for them for 28 years. In 1982 Lord Alistair McAlpine became the new owner. A succession of managers followed until 1988, when Tony Hutchinson and Marisa Ferraz purchased the theatre. In 1997 Maria Ferraz became the sole owner. In 2000, husband Ross de Wit joined her and continued the care of this Australian icon.
Family (Two adults and two children) AUD55