The Deanery has housed generations of Deans over its history and is now the hub of the St George’s Cathedral administration. Built in 1859 as a residence and office for the first Dean of Perth, the Reverend George Purves Pownall, the Deanery served as a residence for over 90 years, until it was threatened with demolition in 1953.
Public appeals to save it were successful and the Deanery was modernised and used as an office and residence for the Dean’s secretary, the assistant priests and their families. In 1979 the building was extensively restored and reopened in 1982. It has been used as the Cathedral offices since then.
Disabled AssistanceDisabled access available