Wadjemup Lighthouse, in the centre of the island, was constructed in 1896. Standing at approximately 38 metres, it is the fourth tallest lighthouse in Australia and replaced the original 20 metre structure built in 1849 by Aboriginal prisoners. Three other buildings in the Wadjemup precinct, including the Signal Station, the Battery Observation Post and the Women’s Royal Australian Navy Service, are intact and linked by self-guided interpretive signage.
Wadjemup Lighthouse was constructed to assist vessels to navigate the channel between Fremantle and the island.
Visitors will be able to get a glimpse of Perth City from the location of the lighthouse, as it was built on the highest point on the Island.
Coach Parking Disabled access available History & Heritage