Woodbridge, with its iron lace work, parquetry, polished jarrah, tessellated tile floors and many pieces of original furniture, is a rare surviving example of a grand 19th century home.
The attractive site was originally taken up by the colony’s first Governor, Captain James Stirling. By 1831, he had built a cottage there, a retreat from Government House.
The property was purchased in 1883 by Charles Harper, farmer, politician, explorer, Anglican chaplain and part owner of The West Australian newspaper. He proceeded to display his position and wealth by building the current house. In 1896, Harper established Guildford Grammar School in his billiard room and fourteen years later, the Anglican Church purchased the entire property – land, building and furniture – for the school.
Today the house reflects its role as home to Charles and Fanny Harper, their ten children, the cook, parlourmaid and housemaid – from the kitchen and working areas to the extensive entertaining rooms.
Located just 30 minutes east of Perth. Guildford is well worth a day trip to soak up the historic beauty, traditional landscapes and friendly village atmosphere.
From $0.00 to $8.00
National Trust Members Free
Adult Concession AUD5
Family group of four AUD20