Woodbridge, with its iron lace work, parquetry, polished jarrah, tessellated tile floors and many pieces of original furniture, is a rare surviving example of a grand 19th century home.
The attractive site was originally taken up by the colony’s first Governor, Captain James Stirling. By 1831, he had built a cottage there, a retreat from Government House.
The property was purchased in 1883 by Charles Harper, farmer, politician, explorer, Anglican chaplain and part owner of The West Australian newspaper. He proceeded to display his position and wealth by building the current house. In 1896, Harper established Guildford Grammar School in his billiard room and 14 years later, the Anglican Church purchased the entire property – land, building and furniture – for the school.
Today the house reflects its role as home to Charles and Fanny Harper, their ten children, the cook, parlourmaid and housemaid – from the kitchen and working areas to the extensive entertaining rooms.
Located just 30 minutes east of Perth. Guildford is well worth a day trip to soak up the historic beauty, traditional landscapes and friendly village atmosphere.
Disabled AssistanceDisabled access available
Free – National Trust Members and children under 5 years
AUD10 – Adult
AUD7 – Adult / Student Concession
AUD5 – Child 5 years and over
AUD25 – Family Group of four
AUD7* – Group Bookings of 10 or more, price per person
* Group bookings and schools by appointment