Banjo Paterson Park

Parks and Gardens

Banjo Paterson Park was acquired and constructed in 1944 as Central Park. It was then renamed in 1948 in honour of Australia’s famous writer and poet, Banjo Paterson.

Andrew Barton “Banjo” Paterson, was an Australian bush poet, journalist and author. He wrote many ballads and poems about Australian life, focusing particularly on the rural and outback areas, including the district around Binalong, New South Wales, where he spent much of his childhood.

Paterson’s more notable poems include “Waltzing Matilda”, “The Man from Snowy River”, and “Clancy of the Overflow”. When Paterson was a young boy, his family took over his uncle’s farm in Illalong near Yass.

A bust at the park commemorates Banjo Paterson who lived in the Yass district as a boy. The bust is a replica of the bronze original sculpted by Mrs Folks which was unveiled in Banjo Paterson Park on 2 November, 1950.

The original bust is now housed at Yass Valley Information Centre.

Facilities

Carpark Picnic Area Public Toilet

Disabled Assistance

Caters for hearing impairment Wheelchair access

Rates

Free Entry

Nearby Things to Do

View All
Yass Boko Store

The Yass Book Store

Yass, Yass Valley

Yass Railway Museum

Yass Railway Museum

Yass, Yass Valley

Wine

Grape Escapes Canberra Wine Tours

Yass, Yass Valley

Burrinjuck Waters

Burrinjuck Dam

Yass, Yass Valley

The Yass Golf Club

The Yass Golf Club

Yass, Yass Valley

Riverbank Park

Riverbank Park Yass

Yass, Yass Valley