Stump Jump Plough

Historical Sites and Heritage Locations

The Stump Jump Plough was invented by the Smith brothers in 1876.

South Australia, in particular can be proud of the pioneering brothers Richard and Clarence Smith in the invention, development and perfection of the Stump Jump Plough at Kalkabury, now Arthurton and the large scale manufacture in Ardrossan.

There are two such ploughs on display in Ardrossan. One on the cliff top at the end of the main street, First St, and one in the Ardrossan Museum on Fifth St. The Museum has assorted videos on display, one of which covers the historical significants of its inception for those on farming land.

Nearby Things to Do

View All
View from the one of the stairs at the park

Ardrossan Apex Parklands

Ardrossan, Yorke Peninsula

View off the Jetty toward the Silo

Ardrossan Jetty

Ardrossan, Yorke Peninsula

located on Park Tce opposite the Ardrossan caravan Park

Gundersen Reserve

Ardrossan, Yorke Peninsula

Pump Track with view toward the town

Ardrossan Pump Track

Ardrossan, Yorke Peninsula

Ardrossan Silo

Ardrossan Photo Frame

Ardrossan, Yorke Peninsula

Memorial dolomite stones used in comparison to size of whale. Large whale, large boulder.,

Parara Whale Memorial

Ardrossan, Yorke Peninsula

Contact Us