The small township of Curramulka is located 186 kilometres from Adelaide, and is part of a busy farming community. It is within easy driving distance of the coastal townships on either side of the peninsula, and is only a short drive from Minlaton.
The name Curramulka is from two Aboriginal words meaning ’emu waterhole’. These days most of the thirst quenching is this small inland town is done at the local hotel, affectionately known as the ‘Curry Pub’ and is a great place to stop for a cold beer and chat with some locals.
Curramulka has become well known for its ‘Curramulka Lights Up!’ event held the first Saturday in December, attracting visitors from across the peninsula and state. The community comes alive every night in December following the event, celebrating the festive season with spectacular Christmas light displays throughout the town.
Curramulka is acknowledged as having the most extensive chain of limestone caves in the southern hemisphere. They are not open to the public for exploration, but the police rescue squad are regular visitors to the caves, who use the caverns as part of their training exercises.
In the late 1800’s Curramulka was a thriving town and an important service centre, providing services to the farmers who were travelling to the main port of Port Julia with their grain.