The Albert Namatjira Memorial was funded, designed and constructed by friends and supporters of a famous Australian artist. Namatjira, a landscape artist, captured the remarkable scenery of Central Australia in a distinctive style that has become internationally renowned as the Hermannsburg School of watercolour painting. The associations of the memorial with Albert Namatjira and, importantly, his continued presence as a part of the history of Hermannsburg and Central Australia, along with the personalities of Rex Batterbee, Pastor F.W.Albrecht and others, provide a tangible acknowledgment of the life of a famous Australian. The Memorial is valued by the local Aboriginal community as a symbol of the recognition of this important Aboriginal artist by non-Aboriginal Australians.
The memorial consists of a monument about 6m tall, constructed of local red sandstone set on a concrete base. A plaque has been installed on the north side of the monument and reads: THIS IS THE LANDSCAPE THAT INSPIRED THE ARTIST ALBERT NAMATJIRA 28-7-1902 – 8-8-1959 The memorial was unveiled on 22 July 1962 by the then Minister for Territories, the Honourable Paul Hasluck.